Solved

Exchange Online backups are running long again

• 18 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +5

My exchange backups are running long again like they did when I first started backing up. My backup health is at 76%.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

icon

Best answer by Michael Mancino 18 June 2023, 03:23

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @EBL Admin,

Did you recently add any new mailboxes?

Thanks

Mike

Badge +5

How can I check that?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

If you navigate to Reports then select Backup Health Report for Office 365 Clients, from there you’ll see statistics on:

• Associated Mailboxes
  • Mailboxes Backed-up
  • Mailboxes Not Backed-up
  • Mailboxes Backed-up (at least once)
  • Mailboxes Never Backed-up
  • Mailboxes Recently Added

Let me know what this report says.

Thanks

Mike

Badge +5

Yes, looks like 19 recently added.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks, that helps. It is typical for Exchange Online jobs to run longer when new mailboxes are added. This is because these new mailboxes require initial backups to be completed and this can take time, during this time you may see your backup health SLA drop as it pulls those new mailboxes in and completes them.

Take a look at the following knowledge base article, it explains in further detail: Newly added mailboxes cause reduced Backup health on Exchange O365 Backups.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Mike

Badge +5

That’s good to know - so do I need to do anything or should I let it catch up? Will my new mail for existing mailboxes also backup?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

That’s good to know - so do I need to do anything or should I let it catch up? Will my new mail for existing mailboxes also backup?

Yes, that’s correct. If you don’t see it catch up within the next week, you can choose to run the individual mailboxes manually that are on the larger side however they will catch up on their own.

Thanks

Mike

Badge +5

Thanks! I’ll keep an eye on it for the next week and reach back out if it doesn’t catch up.