Solved

exclude some directories from backup (hyperv)

• 17 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi team

I would like to exclude some directories from backups in order to save space

I have a hyperv infrastructure and 2 file server vms have several directories I can exclude from backups

I have no fileserver agent

Is it possible ?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by Rajiv 18 October 2023, 05:39

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

If I understood correctly, you are protecting VMs at Hypervisor level, if so you cannot exclude folders from VM within that configuration.

There are two options:

Badge +1

Hi Lukas

thank you for you reply

Unfortunately I have not the file server agent, and I cannot buy it right now :(

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @Mirco WW Excluding the files and folders from hyper V backups cannot be achieved. If you want, you can try to filter the disk itself and see if that can help:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/121777_creating_disk_filters_for_hyper_v.html

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Lukas

thank you for you reply

Unfortunately I have not the file server agent, and I cannot buy it right now :(

You don’t have to buy it, backup system should recognize that you are protecting the VM based on VM tools, Guest services or Azure agents installed. You can confirm that part with support if necessary. So you should be to provide Agent based backups for VM this way. 

Badge +1

Hi Lukas!

Hmm...so is there an agent or something similar to install for free ?

At the moment I have no possibilities to exclude any dir, only whole disk or nothing

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Lukas!

Hmm...so is there an agent or something similar to install for free ?

At the moment I have no possibilities to exclude any dir, only whole disk or nothing

So, these are the options, 

If I understood correctly, you are protecting VMs at Hypervisor level, if so you cannot exclude folders from VM within that configuration.

There are two options:

It’s not free, you paid for the subscription/license already. So, you are free to protect VM’s with e.g. Windows Agent if there’s a need.  - Configuring Backups for On-Premises File Servers (metallic.io)

You can always ask support to confirm the licensing part 😉

Badge +1

Hi Lukas

Really pardon me but...if I try to add Protect→ file server → vm it asks me for advanced license (or start a trial)

Maybe you mean to install the full agent on the fileserver vm, then go to protect→ virtualization →  virtual machine then select the vm, edit the Plan and exclude content ?

Pardon me...I am quite a newbie :P