Question

How to limit a Role to only allow management of certain backup workloads

• 23 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

Just wondering if there was a specific way to control who (via a creation of a role potentially?) has access to administer and manage certain backup workloads from other backup workloads? Trying to work out how one would specifically segment this access and functionality. E.g. Database Admin only has access to be able to Managed backups and restore SQL Database backups.

Kind thanks

Mark

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Mark,

I think that the easiest way would be to create automatically associated Server Group for particular database agent (names, plans or whatever you wish). 

Server Groups (metallic.io)

Then create a User Group, from Association add proper Server Group and Role and simply assign users to that group. They will be granted with role just for these servers. 

Managing User Groups (metallic.io)

Badge +1

Hi @Lukas3D,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Ok so not really a role as such, and looking further into roles these look like they are very much associated with Management functions of the platform, not specifically workloads.

Thanks for the approach and I’ll look further into segmenting it via the Group function.

Kind regards

Mark

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Exactly, please keep in mind that some roles as not accessible since it’s SaaS and we don’t control everything, but these available under “Tenant Admin” you can freely assign to the others.

Hi @Lukas3D,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Ok so not really a role as such, and looking further into roles these look like they are very much associated with Management functions of the platform, not specifically workloads.

Thanks for the approach and I’ll look further into segmenting it via the Group function.

Kind regards

Mark