Solved

Is it possible to restore a table from an Oracle RAC backup in Metallic?

• 18 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I’m a relative newcomer to Metallic, and I’m working with one of our Oracle DBAs to form a recovery plan for his environment, a series of Oracle RAC instances.

One of the tests we’re trying to run is a restore of a Table (as opposed to a Tablespace) - documentation is unclear on the subject, but Metallic allows us to step through and submit a job to restore In-place. The problem we’re seeing is that the job fails early on, with the following error dump:

18:183 Failed with Oracle DB/RMAN error [channel ORA_AUX_SBT_TAPE_1: ORA-19870: error while restoring backup piece 15532648_BIRESTOR_0r1hpnd4_27_1_1 ORA-19502: write error on file "/Exadata_11g_Backup/Bob_Test4/BIRESTOR/datafile/o1_mf_system_kwj1m5hj_.dbf", block number 234496 (block size=8192)”.

I’ve got a support ticket open with Metallic and there’s a suggestion that what we’re trying to do may not be supported - I’m surprised at this, since the software lets us step through a process and submit a job.

If anyone can shed light on what might be happening here or offer advice, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Bob

icon

Best answer by Ronnie Kaftal 18 January 2023, 17:39

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

HI, 
Unfortunately, table level restores are not available with metallic. 
The restore options are listed here: Restoring an Oracle RAC Database to Its Current Location (In Place) (metallic.io) 

Badge +1

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for the quick response - much obliged.

Do you know whether there are any plans for that to be available in the future? 

Cheers,

Bob