Solved

Metallic and remote location

• 12 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi Folks,

We have a setup where our Commserve is at our corporate office on the west coast. We have a remote locations in the both the Midwest and east coast. Both the corporate office (CPO) and the remote locations have their own media agents.

Today I noticed that as a remote location aux copy to Metallic was processing, that it was going to our corporate office media agent first (due to the mount path?). This aux copy (just over 500gb) took almost 17 hours.

With the mount path being at CPO, does that mean the aux copy goes from the Midwest to CPO to Metallic? And if so, should I create another Metallic Storage pool for the Midwest and East coast, or should I make a Metallic storage pool for each location?

Or does it really matter? Hopefully, this makes sense! Thanks for looking.

icon

Best answer by Jon Kuzmick 12 October 2023, 21:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi ErickOR,

So you want to avoid the aux copies going between sites first correct?

You can share the MAs on all sites out to the Metallic Library mount path as read/write, then add them to the Data Paths of the Metallic Storage Pool.

Finally, for each Policy Copy, go to Data Paths there and remove any MAs that are not part of that site. It will take the data paths from the pool by default.

This should stop aux copies from going over sites and causing an extra hop.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@ErickOR 

Your assumption is correct.  The MediaAgent with configured access to the Metallic Store, is the MA that then is processing the writes to the Metallic Store.  So Data needs to be sent to it.

Example:

Primary Source Copy:  EAST-CPO

Secondary Metallic Store:  MIDWEST-CPO

Then Aux Copy would go>   EAST-CPO  »  MIDWEST-CPO » Metallic

The same would go for Restores.

If you needed to restore from Metallic, then you would be dealing with this extra hop and that would cause further delays for your RPO.

Giving Each their own Pool would keep each site separate.

Z-Man

Badge +1

Thanks folks for the answers! I look into it and mark best answer when Im done.