Solved

Metallic Retention

• 28 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Looking at the Metallic HUB for Endpoint - Retention Window there is a mention for deleted items 1 year and versions 5.

Question 1 - What does this exactly mean?

Question - 2 Is there an archive function in Metallic for customer who have to keep company data for several years? 

Could someone please explain or point to the documentation.

many thanks,

Markus

icon

Best answer by Michael Mancino 9 January 2023, 14:06

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello Bischi,

Answer 1: It means that deleted files would be retained in backups for additional 1 year and 5 last versions of files will be kept, where each version = newer version in backup based on edit time I supposed.

Please be aware that these settings can be storage hungry if backup scope if defined as entire laptop, not particular folders. I don’t this explained at documentation. 

Answer 2: There’s file archiving, if it works as it was for the Commvault (parent product), the files will be replaced with small “stub” files, few KB in size tracking file, upon click which in the back restore will be triggered to restore original file back in place https://docs.metallic.io/metallic/152842_file_archiving.html

Badge +2

Many thanks LukasM,

on Q1: I still need to find detailed documentation with examples for my customer 

on Q2: the way I read it, archiving is not for endpoints only for local server storage. Have you tried it for metallic endpoints? 

regards,

Markus

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Bischi , have you looked at the Extended Retention options in Plans?

https://docs.metallic.io/metallic/149039_extended_retention_rules.html

You can keep data for much longer.

Regarding the versions and year, this refers to the number of Full backups, as well as 1 year.  Meaning, after a year, we will always ensure a job only ages off if there are at least 5 other copies/versions to restore from.

Let me know if that clarifies!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

Looking at the Metallic HUB for Endpoint - Retention Window there is a mention for deleted items 1 year and versions 5.

Question 1 - What does this exactly mean?

Question - 2 Is there an archive function in Metallic for customer who have to keep company data for several years? 

Could someone please explain or point to the documentation.

many thanks,

Markus

Hello,

In reference to your two questions:

Question 1 - What does this exactly mean? - This means that if a file is deleted from the Endpoint machine, we will retain the file within the backups for up to 1 year.

On Versions, it means we keep up to 5 different versions of the file browsable and restorable.

Question - 2 Is there an archive function in Metallic for customer who have to keep company data for several years? For this, you’d want to configure your plan based on how long the data should be kept.

If you are looking for something specific to Archiving, please see here: https://metallic.io/file-object-archive. At this time, Archiving is only available for File and Object, not Endpoint.