Question

Metallic “Some huge extended attributes couldn't be backed up” and “Resource deadlock avoided” error, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 26 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

2019 iMac, i9, 128GB RAM, 4TB OWC SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, backed up by Metallic Endpoint (laptop).

I’m getting the error “Some huge extended attributes couldn't be backed up” and “Resource deadlock avoided” on the individual files in an encrypted (Cryptomater) directory under iCloud on my Mac. This is new, only in the past 4 days. I’ve used Metallic to back up this machine for 4 years.

iCloud is showing the “Download” icon, so some files are local and the rest are in iCloud. Again, this is very recent, I’ve been using Cryptomater for several years now with iCloud, OneDrive, and Dropbox, all being backed up by Metallic.

This is one of the files (~38,000) from the backup log, the file itself is in blue text.

Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Personal iCloud/d/XK/OUAILRP7FMCZZD66T3IANTGZFCVBMU/w6CCYXLLi2DYanLNakG6nnvRORcSBXqmMOUvU6OUvA86iDErJTyHO-s=.c9r Resource deadlock avoided

I can always exclude the directory since it’s being also “backed up” in iCloud, but I’m back to this started only 4 days ago question.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s strange. we’ve seen this when there is a large ACL applied to a file (> 60K).

If you check out clBackupChild.log on the Mac machine you’ll be able to get more info about the reason for the failure.

There does not seem to be a clear cut solution for “Resource deadlock avoided”, and that might need to be investigated further with logs or checking out those files on the client.

Looks like you may have a case opened for this already, so hoping we can get down to the bottom of it soon!

Badge +1

Yeah and it snowballs from there. I’ve had no backups at all for April until the 28th and sporadic backups back to January 22nd. There is *nothing* before January 22nd, 2024. Nothing for the entirety of 2023. I have my alerts set to email me on failures, the latest was on April 22nd and before that, January 2023.

Backup sizes should be around 600 GB, they’ve dropped to around 15GB, and directories that have 900 GB local are now 300 GB. Those are backed up in iCloud and Onedrive (And TimeMachine, I’m paranoid).

Just for giggles, I checked my wife’s machine on my account (Windows 10) and the only backup in 2023 (nothing in 2022) is late December. Again, no failure alerts. But the files backed up are the same amount and count as local.

Where is clBackupChild.log at? It’s not showing in Console.