Solved

Migrate backups from Commvault to Metallic BAAS?

• 9 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Is there support for migrating backups from Commvault to Metallic BAAS?

We started using Commvault 3 years ago.  Now Metallic BAAS looks like a better fit for us.

Our preference (if we switch) would be to not keep the Commvault for just those 3 years of backups.

We would like, if possible, to import those backups into Metallic BAAS.

I know if we changed to a different brand, this would not be an option, but since both are Commvault based, I figure I would ask.

icon

Best answer by Guy Williams 10 February 2022, 00:11

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

It is a very good question @Steve-O and we have requested it as well! So the ability to leverage import/export of database information and data. The logic already exists on CommCell level! Anyway it would be really cool if you could do that! 

Hope someone from Commvault can shine some light on this! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Steve-O , to confirm (and asking due to the other thread you have), you’re asking about taking your existing Commvault Core backups, and migrating them directly to Metallic (the service, not the MCSS Cloud library).

Is that correct?  I can ask internally, though one thing to confirm first would be the agents you have backups for.  Are there any backups for agents not covered in Metallic?  I’m assuming no, though it’s important to clear this off before any consideration.

I’ll ask internally to see what options we have for you!@

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Mike,

Yes,  to import Commvault backups and indexes (or re-index) into Metallic BAAS.

Mainly just file server data. (Backed up as file volumes, not VMs)

We do have SQL and Exchange, but don't really need point in time restores, just DR, which we can handle via Storage array replication to another site.

We are and Engineering firm, so we have many large files, that we need up to 10 year back.

I have confirmed that if we switch to Metallic BAAS, and stopped maintenance on the Commvault Hyperscale (The software is tied to the hardware in a 3 yar contract) that we would still be able to restore, just not backup.

A second confirmation of that would be great.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can confirm the last question for you now.  You can always restore the data; you just would not be able to do backups without a valid license.

For your main goal, I think a combination of migrating to MCSS and doing a CommCell Migration into a Metallic hub (all done by Professional Services).

I am in talks with a colleague who is looking into this and will reply once he has a concrete.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Steve-O,

Unfortunately we won’t be able to migrate your existing Commvault backups to Metallic BAAS, but as Mike says, we don’t require a license for just being able to restore your existing Commvault backups.

-Guy Williams, Principal Product Manager

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Guy Williams is this on the roadmap already? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Onno van den Berg, it is not currently on the roadmap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Onno van den Berg, it is not currently on the roadmap.

That is a pity! I'll open a CMR for it because I see a huge benefit from having this kind of functionality. Customers will more and more start to consume cloud storage which makes it much easier to perform migration between CommCells. So if there would be a possibility that allows you to export/import the metadata on CommServe and Company level than that would make Commvault backups portable between on-premise customers, MSPs and Metallic. This would be a unique selling point for Commvault!