Question

Network throttling for remote file physical file servers.

• 23 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

We are very new to Commvault Metallic, less than a month old, and the question is, is there a place in the Plans or anywhere else to configure network throttling for remote servers? We also have remote Hyper-V clusters with lots of VMs and would also to throttle those backup jobs too.

I know from the documentation, there is an option to throttle the network for Clients and Laptops and we don’t really backup laptops. And I don’t see any options on the Console to do that for servers and VMs.

We are throttling our network now on the firewalls, but it’ll be nice if we can do it on Commvault.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mandi

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @MandiJFS,

Yes throttling can be done as you’ve seen for endpoint/laptops for example, but outside of that the capability does not yet exist for the customer to configure.

It can be done through a support request, and they should be able to adjust the settings for you on the back-end.

What I’d recommend is creating a server group with the machines you need to throttle (different groups for different settings if needed). For VMs, your server group needs to be the access nodes which backup the VMs. Once that is done, open a support case and list out your groups and the required throttling settings (MBPS bandwidth and the throttle window). Once that is done open the case and explain the settings you require, and they can get it configured.

Badge +1

Thanks, Damian, for your response. I wished they have throttling option for servers within the Plans.

I’ll work on what you suggested and see how it goes. 

We moved from Microsoft Protection Manager (DPM) to Commvault and DPM had throttling option on the server level which made life easier specially for those sites with slow bandwidth.

Thanks again.