Question

Add File Extensions to FileArchiv

• 1 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

I tried to extend the File Extensions for Windows File Server Archiving but cannot find the Option in the Command Center or a Additional Setting. In the old days this was possible I guess.

Can someone help?

Kind Regards

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Another question is whether it is possible to Archive Files from a Windows Failover Cluster or not? Previiously this was possible.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @flokaiser Could you please elaborate more on the requirement of extending file extension part?

Also, file archiving is a feature supported for Windows and you can check the below guide as to what can be archived and what cannot be: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/25799_windows_file_system_archiving.html

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

Are the following Extension the only extensions which are not going to be archived?

• *.dll, *.bat, *.exe, *.cur, *.ico, *.lnk

Can I include this extensions to the archiving process or is this not possible?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

The Failover Cluster with CSV is on Windows Server 2019. Why is this not supported?

• Data that resides on Cluster Shared Volume File System for Windows 2012 and Windows 2012 R2 computers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @flokaiser as per the documentation, the extensions (*.dll, *.bat, *.exe, *.cur, *.ico, *.lnk) will not be archived even if you include it.

Best,

Rajiv Singal 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @flokaiser 

#1 - Archiving system files with certain extensions (*.dll, *.bat, *.exe, *.cur, *.ico, *.lnk) can potentially render the entire system unusable.

Could you please help us understand the reason behind the attempt to archive such files?

#2 - Regarding “Archive Files from a Windows Failover Cluster”, could you please raise a ticket with Commvault support. We will assess the feasibility and provide an update.

However, please be aware that we cannot guarantee any specific outcomes at this stage.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/25799_windows_file_system_archiving.html

Thanks,

Sparsh

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

#1 The Customer wants to archive everything on the data drive (os drive is not needed). But your explanation is ok for us.

#2 I cannot open a Ticket in the moment because this is a test/proof of concept.