Question

Attempting to restore an Index from Tape Backups fails

• 10 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I’m trying to restore data from tape and when it attempts to restore the Index I receive the following errors:

• Error: Unable to find/get index in the cache for [SubClient_81] at time [Fri May 5 14:14:14 2023].
  • Backup data browse in subclient [1032011_SERVERNAME\Windows File System\BackupSet_1032011_33_45\Subclient_81] not completed due to failed index cache restore.
  • Media with barcode [ARM960L7]. side [A_1125], mounted on library [IBM 3573-TL 16] and drive [IBM ULT3580-HH7_1] on MediaAgent [SERVERNAME]. Mountpoint [\\.\Tape0] for job [313813].  Media block size is [64k].  Mount finished in [39] seconds

I can see the tape that contains the Index is mounted into the Tape Drive and from there when it attempts to restore the Index I receive the following errors above.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks all

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @LeeCooperSaab 

Could you please check if the backup you are trying to recover has the retention or its expired? 

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @LeeCooperSaab 

IndexState.log on the MediaAgent might reveal more information.

Thank you,

Collin

Badge +1

Hi @Rajiv 

I’ve checked all the backups that reside on these tapes and the retention across all of them are set to Infinite.

Thanks for the suggestion

Badge +1

Hi @Collin Harper 

I checked the IndexState.log file and there are no events during the time I attempted to restore data from those tapes.

The last logs I see are from 4 days ago stating the following:

• Status [IDX_DB_RECONSTRUCTION] - ReconJobcount [1]
  • Status [IDX_DB_SUCCESS]

Are there other logs I can check?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like it may be an indexing V1 job - you could check indexrestore.log on the Media Agent, as one of the errors says it was not able to restore the index.

Backup data browse in subclient [1032011_SERVERNAME\Windows File System\BackupSet_1032011_33_45\Subclient_81] not completed due to failed index cache restore.

Badge +1

Hi @Damian Andre ,

I also raised a ticket with Commvault and they have reviewed more of our logs and advised there may be a communication drop between the MA and CS.  They have requested we create a persistent tunnel between to the servers to see if this resolves the issue.

I’ll let everyone know if this fixes it.  Thanks for the comments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Damian Andre ,

I’ll let everyone know if this fixes it.  Thanks for the comments.

Sounds good! lets see how you go.