Skip to main content
Question

Auxcopied Jobs aging prematurely

I am throwing this out to the community  to see if anyone else has had this problem. It is difficult to identify and you have had this happen but have written it off as  not selecting jobs properly.

I selectively Auxcopied data from one disk copy to another.. Basic retention was applied instead of extended retention  and this cause the copied jobs to be aged off prematurely.

The retention period and selective copy criteria for both source and destination copy were identical.

I was able to recopy the jobs and the retention is now normal.

I have raised a ticket with CV and we could not identify the root cause. Troubleshooting was complicated due to the delay between the problem occurring and my identifying it. During that period I was doing lots of weird things that muddied the waters

• There was a period where I set my destination copy to non active (disabled) and am wondering if this messed up the data aging.
  • I was constantly swapping my source between two different copies as I was trying to consolidate all my copies into one destination..

What I have notice is that in some cases when I looked at a job in a “to be copied” state the retention of my destination was was shown as basic, and my source copy was extended, after I ran data aging extended retention was set to extended.

Good morning.  Can you please provide the case number of the case that  you opened for this issue?

Hi @DaveK 

I’m not sure if I understand that last paragraph. If a job is in a to be copied state the estimated retain until date/retention are not applicable to that job as it hasn’t been written to that copy yet. And the source copy would not be affected but may not show the extended retention if you’re viewing this from the storage policy copy until it has completed the copy as it would still technically be basic retention if not_copied is an applicable reason for retention still. Once the job has been copied the only remaining retention reason would be extended_retention and then this would show in the gui. 

If you want to verify retention I recommend using the forecast report instead of viewing the status from the gui as this will only show extended if all other criteria have been met.