Solved

Can Commvault back up the VMware SRM appliance/server

• 31 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello Community

Can Commvault back up the VMware SRM appliance/server? If yes, what is the process to do so?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 1 September 2023, 02:46

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I have not protected SRM before, but I believe they have an export/import process?  It would seem the “dump and chase” model might work here.  My question would be if they can export to an external mount path, or if it can only remain within the appliance.  That might determine if the export can be picked up by a FS agent on another host, or the VSA agent protecting the SRM VM.  My thoughts.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

thanks @Scott Moseman 

base on vmware doc, the recovery process involves the following steps:

Deploy a new Site Recovery Manager appliance.
Register the new appliance with the same vCenter Server instance.
Import the Site Recovery Manager configuration data (XML file).

I'm considering the possibility of utilizing the Commvault VSA agent to back up the Site Recovery Manager appliance. Additionally,  using the file agent to back up the SRM server's configuration file. This file can then be imported into the appliance to synchronize and update it.

I will open a support case to verify this approach and update with findings

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

VMware allows VADP backups (i.e VSA) of their appliances - see this doc:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Validated-Design/5.1/sddc-backup-and-restore/GUID-6C4D0EC7-47B3-40F3-A349-CB9931FA42F7.html

You can use the file method, but - what a nightmare in a recovery scenario… I’d recommend the VM level method - wouldn't be hard to create a sandbox to restore the appliance into and ensure you have working recovery steps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

thanks @Damian Andre