Question

Can I create add a new mount path on a library, make an aux copy to that new mount path and transfer backup there , so we can delete the old one?

• 13 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

We have a media agent that had it’s mount path on a qnap that needed to be sent out for repairs. In the meantime, we were lent another device with 2 shared drives. Now, the qnap is back but everything was wipped out, so a new share was created and added as a new library on the MA. A new DDB was created for this new library and were trying to do an aux copy from the temporary library to eventually delete the temp one. Any take on that? 

thank you

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Can you this? yes.

Will it work? if you do it correctly, absolutely.

Will anyone in commvault recommend this to you?

No, not likely in fact I suspect most will recommend against it.

Have I done in personally yes? Probably 2 dozen times. Will I recommend you do it? no.

Badge +3

Thank you for your answer… but it doesn’t really help, as I was hoping for tips/recommandations…

Why do you not recommend doing it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

You can move the mount path: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/9302_moving_mount_path.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So, my understanding here is, there is only one copy (Primary) with the problematic QNAP (before it got wiped out)

Then you have procured a temp QNAP and started backing it up.

Once the old QNAP is fixed, you have a created a fresh DDB on the MA and planning to move the data from temp QNap to the fixed QNAP. 

If the above is the case, you can do the following
1. Add the new Disklibrary (fixed/mew QNAP) to the same MA.
2. Add the (fixed/new QNAP) to the same stoage policy as “Secondary” where the temp QNAP is marked as primary
3. Make sure the Library is in read/write mode
4. Initiate AUX copy job from Primary to secondary
5. Once all the data are transferred, rename the Primary as Primary_temp.
6. Promote the Secondary copy as Primary.

All the data inside the fixed/new QNAP will become primary & you can remove the temp QNAP. 

Badge +3

Thanks for all the replies guys

We actually created a new ddb for this new Library and did an aux copy from the old primary to the new one (that will be promoted, when done)