Solved

Change Retention on Full Backups

• 13 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,

We are trying to change retention on Full jobs that ran over this weekend due to some requirement, we would like to know if we manually right click the job and change the retention on each Full job to “infinite”, will it also make the change to retention on the incremental jobs dependent on this full jobs?

Based on commvault documentation they mention as below for incremental jobs.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/58452_manual_retention_end_time_for_job.html

“Important: The retention time specified here, applies only to the selected job and does not apply to any dependent jobs. Therefore, you might not be able to restore the data available in the dependent backup jobs. For example, if you select an incremental backup for manual retention, then any associated full backups will not be retained for the extended period.

So we want to know if we select a Full backup for manual retention, will the associated incremental backups be retained for the extended period or will they age off based on Basic day and Basic cycles rule?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 13 October 2022, 17:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great question, @vk1 !  Welcome to out community, by the way 😁

Manually retaining the Full not have affect the Incrementals (they’d have to be manually retained as well).

Easiest way to see this is by running the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report for this copy and you’ll see which jobs are being held forever and which aren’t.

Thanks!

Badge +1

Thank you for the response @Mike Struening, Even I thought that is the case. but Support Engineer is saying if we manually pin a full job the incremental jobs dependent on those Full jobs will also be retained for infinite period of time. we also ran the report and that does not show the retention changed on incremental jobs.

I am confused now what might be the correct solution for this issue now.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I agree with @Mike Struening 

Manually retaining any type of backup will not retain other backups automatically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thank you for the response @Mike Struening, Even I thought that is the case. but Support Engineer is saying if we manually pin a full job the incremental jobs dependent on those Full jobs will also be retained for infinite period of time. we also ran the report and that does not show the retention changed on incremental jobs.

I am confused now what might be the correct solution for this issue now.

Thanks.

Are you sure they weren’t referring to manually pinning the Inc?

Badge +1

@Mike Struening, I had a discussion with support again on this and we went through the documentation given by Commvault, both of us tested it and now we got the confirmation that the incremental jobs will not be held if we manually pin the full jobs or vice-versa.

Thank you everyone for the response here.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Anytime!  Hope to see you here again soon!