Skip to main content
Solved

CIS1 hardened image: Desktop Experience vs Core

• 12 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I was thinking that since a Core edition of Windows is supported as OS for Commserve

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/2801_commserve_server_system_requirements_windows_01.html

AND

CIS hardened image is all about security, wouldn’t it make sense for the Core edition of OS to be the default choice?

Are there any downsides or limitations (besides the obvious - no GUI) of choosing Core OS edition as platform for Commserve?

That’s a good question…..though I think your ‘besides’ is likely the main reason.  Making that the default version for everyone means we’d essentially be telling everyone “the Commserve is on an OS with no GUI” which is likely not the default experience the majority want (though I could be wrong).

It would then require an extra skill set that is not all that ubiquitous as a UI is pretty standard as far as expectations (I started with DOS 5, but that’s just me :nerd: ).

For that reason, it’s a supported option, but not the default.

Well it does make some sense. I was just wondering if there could be something more behind the choice for the Desktop Experience edition, but maybe this reason alone is enough.

Anyway thanks for your input, you are helpful as always @Mike Struening !

My pleasure, let me know if you need anything!!