Skip to main content

Hi there!

Since we changed the deduplication setting from 'on Client' to 'on Media Agent' for Virtual Server Backups, we have noticed a significant increase in backup speed, roughly three times faster. I have a few questions to clarify this topic.

Firstly, does 'deduplication on Client' refer to deduplication on the Virtual Server Agent (proxy), even when using SAN mode? In SAN mode, the data should be sent directly from one datastore (storage array) to another without involvement from other backup devices, correct? Similarly, for NDMP backups, where does the 'deduplication on Client' occur?

I found a useful thread discussing this topic (see below), but I would appreciate explicit answers to my questions."

Hi @drPhil ,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

For VM backup, the “Deduplication on client” means that the Deduplication signature generation will happen in the VSA proxy server.

Even if we use SAN mode, the data will be transferred to storage directly, however, the dedupe signature generation will happen in the VSA proxy.

The same goes for NDMP backups as well. If the Client side dedupe is enabled, then the deduplication signature generation will happen on the proxy server vs the media agent.