Skip to main content
Question

Command Center 11.34: How can I schedule a one-time backup?

• 26 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello team,

The task: Test a subclient backup, but not immediately but at a time specified by the customer.

The basis is a PLAN to which hundreds of clients are assigned, so it should not be changed completely.

In addition to the plan schedules, I have also found the option of starting a backup immediately.

The possibility to schedule this backup as a one-time backup is missing

Commcell console is unfortunately no longer an option for new customers. https://kb.commvault.com/article/82051

Can you help or do I have to set an alarm clock in the future to test a backup?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Seemingly, Commvault expects you to contact Support and plead your case to use the CommCell Console, each time you need to create an ad-hoc schedule.

Seemingly, Commvault expects you to contact Support and plead your case to use the CommCell Console, each time you need to create an ad-hoc schedule.

I would not say “no”:) but there is always a workaround or a different approach. In such case, to avoid calls to support, a workflow can be built to create such one-time schedule. Possibly will have one ready later today or tomorrow, depending on time:)

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I would not say “no”:) but there is always a workaround or a different approach. In such case, to avoid calls to support, a workflow can be built to create such one-time schedule. Possibly will have one ready later today or tomorrow, depending on time:)

Sure, you could just as easily use Windows Task Scheduler / Cron to initiate QCommands, but that’s not really the point - ad-hoc scheduling is basic functionality, and the fact it is missing is embarrassing.

Is it available in 2024E?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I think Jacek is right.

you can create a Commvault Workflow (asking you for the subclient and type of backup).

it is possible to create a one time schedule to run a workflow using CommandCenter.

maybe not straight forward, but a possible workaround.

If you are interested in the option for a on time backup schedule per subclient, you probably need to go the hard way and open tickets with the support to use the JavaGui (until someone thinks its worth to port this to CommandCenter)