Solved

commvault license- parameter

• 7 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

Can i apply the same license after doing a hardware refresh. ( new hardware and os)

what parameter is license tied to. Is it ip address or name or serial number

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 8 January 2024, 01:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Ajal 

Thanks for the great question!

Each entry on the CommCell client list consumes a license. When doing a refresh you can get the same entry to point to a new machine and then the license will be moved over. If you do the refresh and the new machine is a new entry in the java then you need to make sure to retire the old one ( right click in the Java console » All tasks » Retire client ) and this will release the license for you. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Albert Williams  thanks but what i  referring here is changing the commserv itself and not using the old db .

installing the commserv in a new machine and new db 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Albert Williams  thanks but what i  referring here is changing the commserv itself and not using the old db .

installing the commserv in a new machine and new db 

The license key is tied to the serial number, registration code and CommCell ID, which uniquely generated and is stored in the database. You can re-apply the same license wherever you restore the matching database. Some older commcells had it tied to an IP address but I think those have mostly vanished by now - this is also mentioned in the docs:

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/commserve_hardware_refresh_setting_up_commserve_database_in_new_hardware.html

If you have a Dynamic IP license you should not have to re-apply the license when you restore the DB to a new machine, as its already in the database.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Ajal 

Sorry i miss understood your question here. Damian’s response is 100% correct. 

Hope all your questions have been answered!