Question

Commvault Resource allocation

• 11 July 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Hello all 

We have a problem with Commvault resources usage on the IBM Spectrum Scale server. During the backup at the scanning phase, Commvault uses more than 60% of CPU and RAM 

how can we allocate resources to Commvault not exceeding it?

more explanation why Commvault uses RAM?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @Ayman_Seyam 

The first phase of the backup is scan phase which runs ifind on the client to scan for the files/folders you have mentioned in the content for backup. In order to scan through the files from the directories, client resources will be used. If these are huge in number, the utilization can increase. 

What is the Commvault version you are using? How much RAM and CPU you currently have on this client? 

You can attempt to split the sub client and attempt to run backups at different times to see if that helps.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +4

Commvault version 11.30.45 
I am searching here for limit resources used by Commvault 

Hello @Ayman_Seyam 

The first phase of the backup is scan phase which runs ifind on the client to scan for the files/folders you have mentioned in the content for backup. In order to scan through the files from the directories, client resources will be used. If these are huge in number, the utilization can increase. 

What is the Commvault version you are using? How much RAM and CPU you currently have on this client? 

You can attempt to split the sub client and attempt to run backups at different times to see if that helps.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Ayman_Seyam You can try to create separate sub clients and divide the data so that less data is scanned at a particular time leading to use less resources from usual.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +4

@Rajiv no additional setting can be added to limit the usage 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Ayman_Seyam could you please try to use https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22process_name_AffinityMask%22&id=4926 and apply ifind_AffinityMask setting with the desired value? 

Please make sure to restart the services on client after adding these for the changes to take affect. 

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +4

@Rajiv  thanks for your updates I really appreciated it.

I know there is an additional setting to control the CPU what I’m looking for is an additional setting to control memory usage also 
if you check the attached image above the memory usage is 67% I need to control it 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Ayman_Seyam,

There is no such setting to control memory usage unfortunately. I would not expect any ifind process to consume 30 GB of memory - you should open a support case and have them investigate why the memory consumption of this process is so high. Either it is expected (based on your specific workload and configuration) or there is some sort of memory leak that can be fixed on our side.