Skip to main content

Hello,

I have backup of clustered file severer (WSFC). In Commvault it is represented by “cluster client”.
I plan to convert my clustered fileserver to standalone fileserver and preserve server network name.
Could you please suggest best options how to deal with Commvault client? Maybe there is way how to convert virtual client to regular client and preserve all backup history and name?

Thank you!

Hi @AndresL,

To the best of my knowledge.. 

The cluster clients (physical nodes) should be visible in the client computer list, you can configure whatever agent you want to use on it to be protected at the client level. For example, configure the file system agent (or whichever agents you are needing) on it to have content to be protected within the subclient, configure a schedule etc then remove the server from the cluster client properties.

Refer to: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/110049_creating_and_manually_associating_physical_nodes_to_microsoft_cluster_client_group.html step 4 for instructions on location of the cluster client nodes.

As long as the cluster client itself isn't deleted, the history etc from the cluster will be preserved.

Regards,

Chris

Hi @AndresL,

To the best of my knowledge.. 

The cluster clients (physical nodes) should be visible in the client computer list, you can configure whatever agent you want to use on it to be protected at the client level. For example, configure the file system agent (or whichever agents you are needing) on it to have content to be protected within the subclient, configure a schedule etc then remove the server from the cluster client properties.

Refer to: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/110049_creating_and_manually_associating_physical_nodes_to_microsoft_cluster_client_group.html step 4 for instructions on location of the cluster client nodes.

As long as the cluster client itself isn't deleted, the history etc from the cluster will be preserved.

Regards,

Chris

Thank you for reply Chris.

I want to get true physical client at the end.
When  you try to install client manually with same name you get proposal from Commvault to convert Virtual Client to Physical. But it didn’t work for me, client didn’t get all required network config and remained in some “in middle/disconnected” state. Eventually I renamed old client in Commvault and installed from scratch, that worked.