Skip to main content
Solved

Custom per-subclient full schedules along with plan (or impossible)

• 22 January 2024
  • 2 replies

As with many I have tried to move as many clients to plans as possible. Fail seems to be the word of the day when you have 4 very large (NFS shares) subclients all associated with the same plan and we need to schedule Full backups on specific days of the week due to when those subclients have data written to them throughout the week. Basically we want week fulls but never on the same day as getting a full completed on all 4 subclients in the same day is a non-starter as is getting that copied to the remote site within 24hours. So, since we don’t want to rely on the auto-magik synth full scheduling but really pull fulls from each of those shares, staggered every other day (more or less), and there is no way to simply decouple the schedule policy the plan created for those subclients, do I need to remove the plan from each subclient, then assign schedules and manually re-assign the storage policy of that original plan or is there a more elegant way?

I don’t see groups and blackout windows as working or even if they could be glued together, would make troubleshooting a mess.

I’d also not want to start out with new storage policies altogether either but maybe if the schedule portion of the plan is mostly useless, there is no other way? I’d also not want to build another store for this as the DDBs are already in place and fairly sizeable store.

thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I suspect that creating a Derived Plan from the Base Plan would suffice here, Creating each Derived Plan with the required RTO Schedule settings (Fulls on different days).

Documentation: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/creating_plans_from_base_plan.html

-This in effect, would be the same as using the Plan’s original Storage Policy and creating separate Schedule Policies. (Assigning each Schedule Policy to the respective subclient(s).

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks - that is something I never used and didn’t know how to define the Base plan as being such.

This makes sense (finally).