Solved

Data Domain Virtual Edition

• 17 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I was wondering if Data Domain Virtual Edition is supported or not? I could not find any documentation other than DD 7.6 support.

icon

Best answer by Albert Williams 17 January 2024, 23:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Satyam Sourav 

Thanks for the great question!
I can see it was already explored under this community post: 

I stated the following: 

My understanding on DDVE is limited but once it is all configured from a operating systems perspective the storage is going to show up like any Data Domain. Commvault supports Data Domain as a storage target and Commvault would have no understanding that the DDVE is not just like any other Data Domain storage. 

Some considerations to make is that Commvault has different optimizations depending on the storage target and cloud is treated very different to disk when it comes to block size on write and such. Having us think it is a DD when in reality it is a cloud storage in the back end could result in performance. I have not seen this implemented before but it is my first thought that comes to mind when running something like this. 

Hope this helps answer the questions you had!

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

It’s also mentioned here: https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/expert/can_i_configure_data_domain_boost_dd_boost_on_disk_libraries_using_dell_emc_r_data_domain_r.html

Yes, Data Domain Boost on Data Domain physical boxes and Data Domain Virtual Edition is supported on Windows and Linux MediaAgents.

Badge +1

Thank you so much. It is helpful.