Question

Disaster Recovery

• 19 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

In today's unpredictable world, data loss can strike from anywhere – a natural disaster, ransomware attack, or even human error. I do the DR backup everyday. I just wonder, when disasters happen, what are the most critical things do I need to get our data back? 

1. Stable internet connection
  2. Access to CommServer
  3. Access to HyperScale nodes
  4. Access to tapes

Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I would suggest the most critical thing is to have a detailed Disaster Recovery Plan in place and accessible, and for it to be well tested.

Your priorities for CommCell Recovery are pretty spot on, though: 

CommServe,

MediaAgents,

Backup Media / Storage,

Clients.

How often are you performing CommServeDR backups? Is that sufficient to meet your recovery objectives?

Badge +7

Hi @Erase4ndReuseMedia ,

Thank you so much for the response. Someone just asked, if the disasters happen, what do I need in the first place to have the data recovered? Like you said the CommServe must be the first priority; however, in order to get the Commcell up and running again, I need to have access to the DR backups and rebuild the Commserve right?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

It depends entirely on the nature of the disaster, and how you’ve prepared your environment - but in the event that you need to rebuild the CommServe, you would need access to the CommServeDR backups.