Skip to main content

We have large RDS SQL server in our environment and currently backup is not using multifile option and backup is very slow.

I check the AWS documentation, it says that for large large database it support multifile backups.

Importing and exporting SQL Server databases using native backup and restore - Amazon Relational Database Service

• Amazon S3 has a size limit of 5 TB per file. For native backups of larger databases, you can use multifile backup.

example:

Example of multifile backup

exec msdb.dbo.rds_backup_database

@source_db_name='mydatabase', @s3_arn_to_backup_to='arn:aws:s3:::mybucket/backup*.bak',

@number_of_files=4;

My question is Does Commvault support (v11.32) multifile backup for RDS SQL server.

Best Regards

Hi @yuneo 

Commvault does support multi-file backup. During the backup we automatically find the file count based the size of the database being backed up.

Thanks,

Sunil

@Sunil , Thanks for your update

@Sunil 

Thanks for your update.

I still got some questions about this. The multifile backup from AWS documentation refers to split one large database into some smaller files during the export/native backup, I can not find any configuration in Commvault to pass this parameter to RDS msdb.dbo.rds_backup_database procedure. 

@number_of_files – The number of files into which the backup will be divided (chunked). The maximum number is 10.

• Multifile backup is supported for both full and differential backups.

• If you enter a value of 1 or omit the parameter, a single backup file is created.

Based on our backup, the value for this parameter is 1, and our large db backup took a very long time.

Would you please let me know if there is a way in Commvault to pass this parameter to AWS?

Thanks

Hi @yuneo 

It is not configurable. We create max file size of 1 TB. The database is automatically divided into those many files based on the size. For example, a database of 6 TB will be divided into 6 files.

Thanks,

Sunil

@Sunil 

Thanks for your explanation.

Best Regards