Skip to main content

Hi all,

In our case, it seems that the export location is nearly full. However, the jobs in both the disk and tape library associated with the DR backup appear to be of regular size. What’s strange is that the DR backup is committed every 3 hours.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to change the default retention period (90 days) for the export location?
  2. Where can I check and modify the schedule for the DR backup?
  3. Is it possible to delete DR backup jobs from the export location when there is insufficient space?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Retention of CommServeDR exports is configurable via CommCell Console (Control Panel > DR Backup). If the “Number of full metadata backups to be retained” setting is less than 90 days, and a Disaster Recovery Storage Policy is configured, you may need to reach out to support to determine why they’re being retained (or look through the CommmServeDR.log). 

The schedule for DR Backups is configurable via the Scheduler in the CommCell Console (Home > Scheduler). From the Scheduler window, change the view to Details (top left), and then filter on Type: Disaster Recovery (Type, not Job Type) to expose the Disaster Recovery schedules.

CommServeDR exports can be manually deleted, but I would try and determine why it’s not happening as part of the CommServeDR backup process first. 

Hi @Erase4ndReuseMedia, thanks for useful piece of advice.

Indeed, it looks like there are two export locations (CV_DR and CV-DR) under the same local disk. The CV_DR is standard export location placing DR backup everyday at 10:00 AM. Strangely, the second one CV-DR, that is defined in the CV console export location generates DR backup every three hours according to DR Backup Full schedule name. Unfortunately, I cannot see the standard schedule with the default 10:00 AM trigger. The aging of the DR backup from the export location seems to work, but there is not enough space on the disk for new DR backup. Strange things did happen here I would say.

There are 3 location by default where the BackupDR will be stored;

- CommserveDR folder within the installation folder (only 1/2 copies should be stored here)
- Location defined under "Control Panel > DR Backup", which as many copies saved as configured by “Number of full metadata backups to be retained”
- Storage Policy, which I believe has a default configuration of 60 days/cycles and WORM enabled as far as I remember
- An extra one to Commvault Cloud might be configured

BackupDR is executed by schedule, by default once a day at 10am (if memory serves me well), but there may have been more manually created schedules modifying the backup intervals

If you have 2 different export locations, could it be that one of them is a legacy from a previous config?

Thank you @Erase4ndReuseMedia and @Javier for your contribution.

Indeed, it appears that there are two export locations in the environment. Unfortunately, I was unable to determine the reason for this. I don’t believe it is related to adding or changing the Media Agent either. Additionally, in the Scheduler, I didn’t find the default DR schedules, only custom-created ones. Since I am unable to troubleshoot this further, I will leave this thread open in case anyone encounters a similar issue and can offer a solution.