Question

Exchange mailbox restore DDB error

• 22 September 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I have a customer with a deprecated Commvault environment that’s on V11 SP10. They no longer use the environment and want to recover Mailbox Classic Data.

I’m seeing a strange issue, where I cannot recover multiple mail messages (and by default entire mailboxes) if there are attachments in the mail. If I recover messages with no attachment, then I can recover them into a PST file.

The error I see is:

Looking at the logs, the restore job is trying to reference a DDB ID that isn’t available under Storage Resources. I suspect it may have been deleted at some point (the system has been inactive for a few years).

The active DDB’s are all online and accessible.

My understanding is that a DDB isn’t required for a recovery operation, but it seems to be causing issues with mails that contain attachments. 

I configured the MA (which also hosts the DDB’s) to be the target for the PST recovery to avoid any impact on their Production environment and new backup solution, so recoveries are ‘local’.

Is there anything I can start looking at around this issue? Logging a call is a bit tricky right now, as they are out of maintenance due to no longer using the product for data protection.

Thanks.

Mauro

1 reply

Badge +3

You are right, we don’t need DDBs for recovery/read operations.

My suggestion would be to check the CVD.log file on the machine mentioned as source machine in the screenshot pasted by you. That may give you more insight on error.