Skip to main content

Hi together,

in oine of our project we have the need to execute Exchange Single Item Recovery on a regular base. Due to this requirement we have to create a recovery point … but this takes very long (1 hour+).

Is there any possibility to create a recovery immediately after the backup … or scheduled. Just to be prepared for the next single item restore?

Thank you.

Michael

Hello @Michael Seickert 

I assume this is recovery point from an onprem database backup?

Have you ever thought about leveraging the mailbox agent? This would be instant browse and restore at any time.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2024/essential/exchange_mailbox_on_premises.html

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your response. Yes, this is related to an onprem database backup.

The idea with the mailbox agent is nice … but this would require additional licenses :-( 

Furthermore the mailbox agent is no complete replacement for the database backup. When you are forced to restore a whole database it will take ages to restore all mails.

Regards.

Michael

Yes I understand mailbox license, etc and yes you still need to perform DB backups it's just more suited for daily mailbox restore requirements.

As you noted there is no option to schedule a recovery point. 

You can however perhaps use the recover from offline db?

So you can schedule a restore of the database to a flat file. Then when needed use the recovery from offline database. This will save some time as the DB is already located on disk somewhere.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/recovering_messages_from_offline_exchange_database.html

Hi Michael!

You may also configure this by setting up a schedule for recovery point creation as part of your backup job. For detailed instructions on how to configure recovery points for Exchange database backups, please refer to this documentation: Configure Message Recovery (General)

Regards,

Markus

Hi Markus,

thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately there is no possibility to schedule the recovery point creation … it is simply missing in the GUI.

Regards.

Michael

Yes I understand mailbox license, etc and yes you still need to perform DB backups it's just more suited for daily mailbox restore requirements.

As you noted there is no option to schedule a recovery point. 

You can however perhaps use the recover from offline db?

So you can schedule a restore of the database to a flat file. Then when needed use the recovery from offline database. This will save some time as the DB is already located on disk somewhere.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/recovering_messages_from_offline_exchange_database.html

Hi Scott,

yes, this is a good idea. It will not work for all databases (because we do not have 10 TB temporary space to restore them all … every day) … but for the DBs that have a high restore frequency this might work.

Thank you.

Michael

Yes, space would be a concern if you have large databases.

We can also discuss about creating a customer modification request as well with development to possible have an option to schedule a recovery point creation.

I will have a discussion with the customer in the next week. When a CMR is required I will come back to you.

Best regards.

Michael

Sounds good thank-you @Michael Seickert 

If this is something needed just message me directly CCID so that I can tie it to any possible CMRs correctly.