Skip to main content

Hi there,

I backup a vm group on tape library for some technical reasons.

For some backup jobs, data written on tape and Index information written on another tape.

Can I include index information into backup data so I make sure that both be written on the same tape ?

Hello @Aismail 

The short answer is no. 

The long answer is due to the way stream ID’s are assigned to tapes and the way Commvault Writes data we are unable to mix and match these. Once a tape is assigned a stream ID in a Storage policy it can only have data with the same Stream ID written to it. 

If you have stream randomisation turned on the SP ( on by default ) when that job runs it will pick a random stream between 1-100 to be used for that job. If you disable this feature i suspect you will find the index's on the same location but that depends on the amount of streams used during the backup. 

If you disable Stream randomisation and only use 1 stream i would say it will work. Or use a Multiplexing factor equal to the number of reader streams would achieve the same thing. 

NOTE: Stream randomisation is a amazing feature for disk or cloud and this is why it is on by default. Multiplexing gets around most of the issues it causes for tape but this is not true if it is your primary copy is all. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Hello @Aismail 

The short answer is no. 

The long answer is due to the way stream ID’s are assigned to tapes and the way Commvault Writes data we are unable to mix and match these. Once a tape is assigned a stream ID in a Storage policy it can only have data with the same Stream ID written to it. 

If you have stream randomisation turned on the SP ( on by default ) when that job runs it will pick a random stream between 1-100 to be used for that job. If you disable this feature i suspect you will find the index's on the same location but that depends on the amount of streams used during the backup. 

If you disable Stream randomisation and only use 1 stream i would say it will work. Or use a Multiplexing factor equal to the number of reader streams would achieve the same thing. 

NOTE: Stream randomisation is a amazing feature for disk or cloud and this is why it is on by default. Multiplexing gets around most of the issues it causes for tape but this is not true if it is your primary copy is all. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Hello @Albert Williams 

thanks for your reply,

Please note that this vm group has only one primary copy on tape library.

due to this situation I have to keep an LTO8 Tape (11.72 TB) for just 5 GB of data.