Solved

Failed To Uninstall stale MSI


Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi, Everyone

I have this issue on different servers i tried to uninstall commvault agent on. The issue, the commserve hostname on the Process Manager is “DISABLED”. i had gone to the registry to remove the DISABLED and changed the FLAG to 0. The server could not still be seen by COMMSERVE. I resorted to uninstalling the agent completely from the server, during the process of uninstallation, it writes ‘FAILED TO UNINSTALL FAILED MSI’. How do i solve these problems, please?

 

icon

Best answer by Mubaraq 12 September 2021, 11:27

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mubaraq 

Thanks for the question.

These errors usually occur when the MSI used to perform the installation is no longer found on the client itself, so the uninstall task doesn’t know how to remove itself.

Please would you see if there are any relevant messages in install.log on the client that might point to the required MSI?

We may be able to provide the expected MSI in the required location and allow the uninstall to complete.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi, @Stuart Painter 

Thank you for the prompt response.

Yes, there are some messages on the install.log pointing to the the error. 

I did the msiexec /x command but it wouldn’t work. 

Work continues tomorrow. There are quite a couple of servers like that.

I will check and revert.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mubaraq 

Thanks for the update, hopefully if we can identify the issue with one, we can replicate the steps for all affected clients.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Mubaraq

My previous post was marked as Best Answer, guessing you meant like :blush:

I’ve unmarked the answer, so this thread will remain open and active.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , how are things looking now?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Mike Struening I am so sorry I didn't give an update. I have been busy with other servers. I still need help on 4 of the servers with MSI error. Can I get some help?

What's the best approach to solving the problem? 

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , I would suggest opening a support case at this point.  Share the incident number so I can follow up accordingly.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi, @Mike Struening 

I raised a support ticket, we were able to solve the problem.

Here’s the breakdown:

We downloaded a MICROSOFT PROGRAM install and uninstall software. We ran the software, some hidden file system iDA’s were found, so, we removed them with the software (nothing was found in some of the servers)

We went into registry, we deleted the commvault systems and other remoteinstall files there. In the current control set, we deleted the Gxadmin. 

Then we ran a fresh installation on the server and it worked. Though, same issue persisted for some of the servers, we had to restart the servers and run a fresh installation and it worked.

 

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mubaraq 

Thanks for the update, I’ll mark your latest reply as best answer.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Agreed, thanks @Mubaraq !

Reply