Question

Have to delete some particular jobs

• 5 December 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Hi teams,

Have a good day,

I needed a help. One of my clients has a backup issue related to indexing. I have also taken help from support but the issue has not been resolved, maybe the experiment is going on. If I delete the data from the problem job and then take a new backup, will it be ok? This is an issue of 20 days jobs.

Thanks

Amol

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi,

in general, it should work, just to remove broken backups (in Commvault there was even a way to mark jobs as bad = do not reference). Ideally, I’d have triggered a set of new Full backups for these resources (not Synthethic fulls) just in case. 

Badge +2

Hello Amol, 

Could you let us know which workload it is? (Example: Exchange or File server or Laptop)? 

As for O365 workloads, the deleted item is available as per the retention set on the plan level. Please refer the article on how to delete a item from Backed up data:

https://docs.metallic.io/metallic/deleting_backed_up_data_for_onedrive_for_business.html

Regards, 
Pratik

Badge +2

Hi Pratik & Lucas3D,

Thanks for reply you both off,

actually I have a physical server which is a file server, there was an index related problem in it, so I did reconstruction by putting old tape, a lot of data is still getting opened but there are some jobs which when I go to browse, I search on a job id. Does it have some issue? I also show the snap shot of the index. 

This upper prompt happens.

And if I open any browser from here till the top, the same below image appears as above.

And all the jobs below it have been reconstructed.

Whatever job is selected, all the jobs below are opened.

So what I want is that if I delete the problematic jobs and run a new job backup, is it possible that the new jobs will work fine, meaning there will be no index problem in it and the current jobs will not go to the index id of the old jobs.

Please guide me

Thanks in advance,

Amol.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @ITHelpdesk 

What is the issue you are seeing on the backups.

Depending on the issue running a Full backup most likely won’t resolve the issue seeing as all of the jobs, both Full and Incremental are completing with errors.

Index Reconstructions are very normal. If you have to Browse data and the index has aged out from the Index Server we need to rebuild it using the index backups on storage. I see the Browse completes so there is no issue with accessing the data or the integrity of the index backups.

Once we know more about the “index issue” you are seeing, we can point you in the right direction.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

If you trigger a full the indexes will be created from scratch. But maybe it’s just space, space reclamation related issue to something similar. There are many factors. 

Badge +2

Collin Harper

Hi Collin,

Have a great Day,

When I browse a job of that client whose snapshot I have given, it is not opening. Current Playing Job 66097 comes just like this. So I faced problems in the jobs I wanted, then I inserted the tape and reconstruction was going on. So out of 50 jobs, 39 jobs have been indexed, but the job which is running above is not going ahead of the currently playing one. This same screen has been going on for 3 weeks. So today I marked this job as bad and ran it, still the same screen is coming.

By the way, I am in conversation with the Commvault team but I am not getting any reply soon. If similar problem has happened to anyone in this community then they would know how to fix it.

Thanks

AMol.

Badge +2

Lukas3D

Good day,

I don't think it will be related to space because my server has 20 TB free space. This is indexing issue, now even after marking that job as bad, the same screen is coming. However, after doing bad, that job should be skipped. But still the same message is coming, I give a snap.

Thanks

AMol

Badge +2

Hi @ Collin Harper

the current status after mark bad jobs 66097 job for your Ref.

after marked bad then browsed the jobs 88355 but stii showed 66097 job in playing 

Thanks

AMol

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @ITHelpdesk 

This is what I suspected. Its not an “integrity” issue. It seems the index backup hasn’t been running for this Client. So since the index hasn't been getting backed up we need to reconstruct it from storage. 

Can you check the Index State report in Command Center and filter for this Client. It should tell you if there is an issue with the Index Backup.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/health_report_index_state.html

I suspect it hasn’t been completing because it hasn’t been able to restore the cycle from tape. Is this backup going directly to tape or are there multiple copies?

Thank you,

Collin