Skip to main content
Question

High Availability for MediaAgents in Azure

• 29 May 2024
  • 8 replies

Hello community,

A customer requested High Availability for Commvault MediaAgents in Azure, for o365 & Azure PaaS workloads.

So, in case we split the INDEX, JobResults directories and DDB’s in 2 MediaAgents in Azure, are we going to succeed the HA requirement?

Please for your feedback!
Nikos

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm ,

Are you looking for High Availability during backup and restore? You can check if the GridStor configuration described below is what you are looking for.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/gridstor_r_alternate_data_paths.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Just use a partitioned DDB combined with a cloud library leveraging Azure Blob will do the trick perfectly. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Onno van den Berg  and thanks for your reply.

I understand that with GridStor I can share the Disk Library (Azure blob storage) and also the Drives (example INDEX).

So, if I install same roles in both MediaAgents I will succeed the High Availability in case of one MA failure, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Why would you use a disk based library instead of a cloud based library if you run in Azure? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Why would you use a disk based library instead of a cloud based library if you run in Azure? 

Both Azure (HA) MA’s will be in Azure, so I’m going to use Cloud Library (Azure Blob storage) as backup repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You just need to make sure you add all involved MAs to the containers of the cloud library. To can verify this by checking the cloud access paths. You should see all MAs. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Onno van den Berg  and @Abhishek Narulkar 

Because the MediaAgents will be in Azure, maybe the High Availability “feature” could be implemented from Azure side?

Please for your thoughts on this approach.

Best regards,
Nikos

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There are no high availability options on that level in the domain of public cloud. The availability option allows to to specific where, in this case, the MAs will be placed. It will still be a single VM per zone and you should deploy at least 2 MAs across 2 zones. This will make sure that Commvault will remain functional when one zone stops working.