Skip to main content

Hi There

I have a customer that uses Exchange Archive Mailbox with a quota of 14GB.

The primary mailbox has a quota of 100MB and they have a policy to archive emails older than certain number of days (very short, like 10 days or less) to the Archive Mailbox.

We also archive users’ mailbox with Commvault Mailbox Agent selecting both primary and Archive Mailbox.

When checked the logs, a message states that the cleanup is skipped as the quota if 14GB and the current mailbox uses 100MB+

It seems that the mailbox quota CV calculates also includes the Archive Mailbox quota , so when we specify Quota high watermark to 70% for example, and if the primary mailbox has exceeded that threshold the stubbing of emails do not happen on the primary mailbox as the Archive Mailbox has not reached that threshold.

Wanted to know if this is an expected behavior and/or if there is any way to cleanup the mailbox based on quota only and ignoring the Archive Mailbox quota.

Thanks and regards

Abdel

@Abdellatif AITELBACHA 

Thanks for your post on this subject. It was always my assumption that quota is calculated on Primary mailbox value. It sounds like you are seeing differently in your logs though. 

Are you able to share with me on thread here some example log lines you are seeing the calculation? Please remove any sensitive information. 

I will also run a test of this in my lab and see. What Commvault and Exchange versions are you currently running please?

James 

Hello @Abdellatif AITELBACHA In this case if the user has such aggressive policy to move messages to archive mailbox why enable quotas in Commvault? Maybe it would be better to not leverage the quota rules in CV and just allow it to archive based on message date and allow it to archive just data in archive mailbox? I don't see how the quota rules will help in this case since message area already being moved to archive mailbox by Exchange.

Dears

Thanks for your answers and sorry for the late reply got very busy.

@JamesA . I double checked the logs and read it more carefully. The message was for the Archive Mailbox and not for the primary. Some items where actually stubbed but only a few so was hard to find them in Outlook (and they were contacts items which are not visible by default in Outlook)

@Scott Reynolds : Customer plan is, at a later stage, to stop using Exchange Archive Mailbox and only rely on CV archiving to maintain the mailbox usage below quota(that they will increase slightly). They have not yet decided if they will or not stop Exchange Archive so they wanted to validate the stubbing based on Quota on primary mailbox.

Customer faced some production issues and have not get back to me since so for now I am on standby.

Thanks for you help anyway.

Regards

Abdel

@Abdellatif AITELBACHA , following up on some old threads.  Did you get an answer for this one from the customer?