Question

How to check the status of Index Reconstruction?

• 4 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi, we’re on 11.32.43. We are only able to keep our indexes for a week, since our subclient is so large that the indexes for it are 600GB. So of course that means that whenever one of our technicians needs to do a browse and restore from this subclient, they get the “Index reconstruction in progress. 1 jobs in reconstruction list" message.

I cannot find documentation that states how to track progress of these index reconstruction jobs. They do not show in the Job Controller list like regular backup and restore jobs. We just want to have a location to look in so that when an index reconstruction completes, our technicians know it’s okay to try their browse and restore again. Thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@ZachHeise  - there is an index state report that will show status of index - https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/reports_indexing_version_2.html

The Index State report lists the status of the index database reconstruction. The Index State report is available only through the Health Report. For more information, see Index State Tile.

please check and see if that meets your needs - otherwise the logs on the MA will show the status. There are a couple of index related logs on the MA. ( they have the name index…. )

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @ZachHeise 

You can check the Index State report for the Client in question. On the report you can add the Column for “Database Name” which will give you the Index Database GUID as well as the Index MediaAgent for that Index.

You can take this GUID and check the following logs on the MediaAgent for information about the Index.

• IndexState.log
  • IndexServer.log
  • LogManager.log
  • IndexCheckPoint.log & IndexCheckPointSummary.log

If the Index needs to be reconstructed there is usually a Job ID tied to an Index Restore Job. You can take that Job ID and check the below logs for the restore.

• CVD.log
  • clRestore.log

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Okay great, I confirmed that when an Index Restore for a job was actively taking place, I could see it both in the Java console which is what I use most of the time, and the Command Center, which is what the non-commvault-admins use. But then when the restore is completed, it disappears from any record I can find on the Command Center. I tried making a View in the command center: Rules → Operation → Index Restore type. But it just shows as empty in Command Center. However I can see all my Index Restores in the Java console.

Same user account, just two different consoles. Any idea why this might be happening?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@ZachHeise 

I am not sure about Command Center but it should show up under the Client that the index is for as a Restore job.For example, if the Index is for the Default Subclient on (lets say) VSA Client [VCenter1], you should find the Index Restore job in the Restore History of [VCenter1].

Thank you,

Collin

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Command Center is what Commvault is trying to move to, I know, so it’s what we’ve been training our users on. All I know is that right now, completed index restore jobs are not visible in the command center, but they are in the java console. Is it possible to get confirmation here on the forums that this is expected behavior and just part of the numerous things that haven’t yet been added to command center yet - or if you can confirm for me that in your test lab, index restore jobs DO show up in command center’s past jobs, in which case there is an issue with our environment and we will open a ticket. Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @ZachHeise 

I will try and see what I can find out but its just a restore job. I’m surprised a restore job would be listed in Java but not Command Center.

Thank you,

Collin