Question

How to manually start a server backup using Command Center

• 23 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

So… this is probably a stupid question but…

I’m a long time CommVault client and I’m slowly switching from the java GUI to the Command Center.  This week we installed a new AD server so I went into CC, created a backup plan, and installed the CV AD client on the new server.  Now I want to run a full backup but… there doesn’t seem to be any way to do that.  When I go to Protect > Active Directory, I see the new server but there’s no option in the Action menu to run a backup.  Am I missing something?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Even though I used the guided setup, I needed to go into the settings for the new AD client and enter the domain admin account and password (the same as was used during the guided setup).  Once that was done, the name of the AD server changes to a link.  Clicking on the link opens a page for the server and the page has the option to run a backup.

Note to CommVault:  Your guided setup could use an enhancement to include everything needed to get the backup to run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Are these screenshots based on the latest version e.g. CPR2023E?

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Are these screenshots based on the latest version e.g. CPR2023E?

I wish I knew how to answer this question.  When I go to Command Center, access the dropdown menu under my signon account, and select “About” I see “Version11.30.64”.  Does that clarify anything for you?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

The easiest way is to search for the sub-client name it will autofill until it finds the one you want, then there is just a big backup button to click.

Instead of thinking it of as a hierarchy that you have to browse, you can think of it like a bucket of stuff, you can just search for what you want and then click backup.

You can also type “/backup” in the search bar to initiate a backup on a server.

In this way in certain situations the command center is much faster since you do not need to navigate to the things you want to work with.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I can confirm the same behavior on 2023E (FR32).

/Backup does not appear to include AD subclients.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Currently /backup seems to only include servers, and oddly groups.

I just threw it out there on the assumption that eventually it will be expanded to instances and subclients.

That said search by subclient name seems to work for all agents I have run into.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I also checked FR32 and indeed this is still hidden and inconsistent in comparison to other agent types. Let's see if @MFasulo can deliver an answer to the question if there are any plans already to have this refactored