Question

IBM i File System Backup Performance Tuning

• 13 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

Good day.

We need your expert recommendations on this matter.

Just wondering if there are specific parameters on IBM i (client) or Commvault that we can modify to improve our IBM i backup simulation. 

IBM i Test POC

Power 8 running IBM i 7.4 on external storage SAS drives

Network: 1x4 ports 1GB (aggregated) but planning to use 10GB in the actual environment

Core: 0.8

Memory: 16GB

Disk: 84x150GB 

Current Backup Parameters and Scenario:

We tried to run *ALLUSR subclient with 6.5TB capacity and took about 15hrs to finished.

SAVE WHILE ACTIVE *NO

Number of readers: 8

Network agents: 4

Compression: On the storage

Your inputs are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @Roms 

Thanks for the great question!
Performance related issues and troubleshooting required a huge amount of environmental context to take into consideration when troubleshooting to provide an answer that is helpful and correct. I would recommend a support ticket in this case with examples and logs to them to review and provide feed back.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/performance_analysis_tool.html

If you would rather investigate this your self the “performance analyzer tool” is going to be your friend.
If you have a job that ran for over 10min and no longer running it will review all the streams and provide advice on where we spent all our time and what steps can be taken to improve the performance. 

If you want to ask further questions here on community, when sharing the CVPerfMgr.log like you have in the question you need to provide the entire stream details and not just a small section of it as context matters.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +1

Thank you, Albert. Will look into it.