Skip to main content
Question

Identify Changed + Accessed Windows FIles quickly using commvault

• 8 February 2023
  • 4 replies

we have a very large Windows File Sahre Server. the amount of data hosted on these 2-node Windows File-over Cluster is around 300TB of unstructured data files where the users accessing it via windows folder shares SMB.

the installed CommVault file system agents are good in backing up these large data set using daily incrementals, de duplication, compression, synthetic fulls.

we aim at introducing a DR solution for this very large file share service over WAN-link to another data center in another country.

is there a way to quickly identify the changed files & also the access files using commvault agent/features (maybe FOlderWatcher.db,...) so to replicate these files on a daily basis oven WAN to another server ?

thanks,

What storage are you using?

What storage are you using?

block-based SAN LUNs from IBM FC storage array, presented over Fiber channel switches to the windows servers. the volumes are NTFS partitions.

So, I believe there are two items here. 

1. The ability to look at these shares and tell what changed. Which I believe you could accomplish by using Activate - File and Storage Optimization
  2. The replication/copy of data to a DR Site: Block-Level Replication for File System Agents

I have never tried the second option and that would rely on a DR site that might need some additional hardware, settings and management. A lot of work. 

Perhaps you want to take a look at a Synchronous Storage Copy - different than a DR, however it provides you the ability to aux copy that same data at a remote site/dr location.

Hello @Mohammad Badran 

If you want to achieve DR solution using Commvault, then please look into the Commvault Disaster Recovery Suite. Depending on RPO/RTO’s it can range from hot-standby to Warm Replication.

Please have a look at the following URLs

Disaster Recovery and Replication (commvault.com)

Replication (commvault.com)