Solved

Immutable/Worm Library- Sealed DDB Cleanup not working because of Index Jobs

• 1 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We have following Scenario:

• WORM CLoud Libary
  • Storage Policy with Primary Copy 30Days Retention + Selective Copy -> AllJObs to "Worm Library" with 7 Days Retention
  • Workflow Enable WOrm run -> 7 Days Retention / 7 Days Seal DDB / 14 Days WORM Lock

Everthing is correct set by WF and is working asexpected LockDays set correct, Sealing happens after 7 Days, but the old Sealed DDBs get not cleaned because the Index Jobs get not cleaned of it although the Retain Until Date is fullfilled.

I could not find any hint in documentation or elsewhere how to handle Index Jobs in Combination with Immutable Copy.

Has there anyone experience or missed I something.
Everthing would be helpful.

Thx & BR
Marcel

icon

Best answer by Marcel Geisen 7 September 2023, 08:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Marcel Geisen ,

Good day! 

Index backups will not follow the retention rules that was set at the storage policy level and refer to the below document on how clean up works. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/138590_index_cleanup_and_compaction_operations_indexing_version_2.html

I would recommend backing up the index via non-worm protected storage policy so that you won’t be facing this issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Marcel Geisen ,

Good day! 

Index backups will not follow the retention rules that was set at the storage policy level and refer to the below document on how clean up works. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/138590_index_cleanup_and_compaction_operations_indexing_version_2.html

I would recommend backing up the index via non-worm protected storage policy so that you won’t be facing this issue. 

Hey @Arunkumar P ,

thx for reply. I know that index retention is handled in different way, but for each Storage Policy the Index Job is automatically created and I cannot exclude them for the WORM copy, and I dont think that makes sense in case of restore.

So this is for me a general design question, when using immutable copy how to handle Index Jobs and configure it, so in default the Index Jobs are copied to the WORM Storage.

it would be helpful to clarify this and this should be documented somewhere. Maybe you can involve some of the Commvault Dev Team to get it clear, think would help all using Immutable, because all have to handle Index Jobs in their Storage Policies.

Thx & BR

Marcel

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Anyone else with ideas / experiences regarding how to handle Index Jobs with Immutable copy?

Different Options possible:

• Change Index Retention for StoragePolicies somehow when using Immutable?
    • Makes it sense and how it is possible?
  • Do not copy Index Jobs to Immutable Copy
    • How is this possible?
    • Makes it sense ? and what is with Restore from WORM Copy without Index?
  • Leave it in Standard
    • Scenario Storage Policies with
      • Primary Copy 30Days 4 Cycles
      • WORM Copy - All Jobs - 7 Days 0 Cycles
    • When will be the jobs cleaned and the sealed DDBs deleted

Thx & BR

Marcel

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Marcel Geisen,

Good day! 

I checked internally with the dev team and they stated that there is fix for Aging indexing backups from sealed DDB, incase DDB does not have other jobs.

Can you please let me know the Feature and maintenance release that you’re running on? 

If you’re running on V11.28 then the fix is included with V11.28.76

indexing backups are not aging from sealed DDB

5065, 5066

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/assets/service_pack/updates/11_28_76.htm

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Arunkumar P Hello,

thanks for the information and digging a little bit deeper, was the same I found yesterday evening with a colleague of mine which told me the same. But he also told me about a problem that DDBs got not sealed which will be fixed in the new Release from today 11.28.83 →

Auto Sealing DDB's not acting as expected 5302, 5303, 5304

So we are on 11.28.72 and I will update the next days to 11.28.83 and check how sealing and index cleanup will work and post it here.

@Arunkumar P maybe meanwhile you can discuss internal my thoughts on the last post how

Anyone else with ideas / experiences regarding how to handle Index Jobs with Immutable copy?

Different Options possible:

• Change Index Retention for StoragePolicies somehow when using Immutable?
    • Makes it sense and how it is possible?
  • Do not copy Index Jobs to Immutable Copy
    • How is this possible?
    • Makes it sense ? and what is with Restore from WORM Copy without Index?
  • Leave it in Standard
    • Scenario Storage Policies with
      • Primary Copy 30Days 4 Cycles
      • WORM Copy - All Jobs - 7 Days 0 Cycles
    • When will be the jobs cleaned and the sealed DDBs deleted

Thx & BR

Marcel

to handle Index Jobs in general with Immutable and what is best with index jobs, if you have different Retention on Primary Copy and Immutable copy . I think somehow a BestPractises or some Guidelines would be helpful for all.

I keep you here posted when I updated and tested.

Thx a lot for your support and Greets

Marcel

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Marcel Geisen,

Good day! 

I checked internally with the dev team and they stated that there is fix for Aging indexing backups from sealed DDB, incase DDB does not have other jobs.

Can you please let me know the Feature and maintenance release that you’re running on? 

If you’re running on V11.28 then the fix is included with V11.28.76

indexing backups are not aging from sealed DDB

5065, 5066

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/assets/service_pack/updates/11_28_76.htm

@Arunkumar P thx for this hint after installing the Fix Release the Seal DDBs got cleaned up now on regular base.

We see that with a WORM retention of 7 days, all 22 days the last sealed DDB is cleaned up, so max 3 Sealed DDBs and on day 22 the oldest were deleted.

Do you find anything else out about handling with Index Backups in combination with WORM Backup, how to handle or guideline with different retention in primary copy vs. worm copy?

Thx & BR

Marcel