Question

Index Server Cloud

• 8 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello All,

I understood we need odd number of servers to setup the index server cloud. However when we have 5 node in cloud, 3 for HAC and 2 for index store. In this case 2 index store node will have a disk capacity based on the sizing.

Lets consider i am setting up exchange on prem backups with content indexing, i have 5 node index cloud and two access nodes. I will also have share for job results directory.

Now the question is around the index server cloud setup, when i create the index server its requesting to update the index directory location but i have two nodes acting as index store in this case which node disk should be used for the index directory when i configure the index server cloud.

If i use any 1 of the node disk then if that node fails or down due to some reason i will not be able to search \ browse the index from that node in this scenario this will be single point of failure even if we call it as Index server cloud with HAC rite.

I would like to understand more about this and i have gone through documentation where i cant find how to set the directory location when we have 2 index store nodes and what happens if one fails.

Can someone explain please?

Regards

Ananth

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  Index Server Cloud is considered legacy and Development is recommending moving customers to CVSolr.  You can manage it from Command Center and it can be scaled as needed.  Please refer to this documentation:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/131956_index_server.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello Orazan,

Thanks for the response.

When i add a new index server and if any one of my existing index server is down then how the index can be used when the server is down, how this kind of situation is handled?

Do we have any replication or we are supposed to do index server disaster recovery?

Regards

Ananth

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We moved from Index Cloud to Index Server with 2 nodes for our Exchange Index about a year ago.

We were told at the time that Index Cloud was considered legacy and should set up an Index Server instead.

However, when any of the two nodes are down due to maintenance, half of the users cannot access their index. As explained here: Load Balancing Index Server Nodes (commvault.com)

“Load balancing moves indexes from one node to another node on the same Index Server”.

Is there any possibility to set up redundancy so that the index is always accessible to the users in Index Server?

We are actually considering moving back to Index Cloud to have the redundancy expected for the Indexing Service.

Thank you,

Zoltan