Solved

Is there a cost involved while protecting Teams channels and chats?

• 27 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Commvault Certified Expert
  • 37 replies

I get worried questions regarding protecting Teams and the payment models that Microsoft has implemented for Teams APIs. It seems as some backup vendors are avoiding backing up some Teams components to not put the customer in a situation where they will get billed by Microsoft. 

I have not been able to find any information about this in the Commvault documentation and I do not know the current status of this situation. 

Does anyone have some feedback on this.  

/Patrik

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 29 June 2023, 08:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Patrik,

Good question and I can't confirm or deny, but also asked a colleague from mine to look into it. Found following post on the forum of V E E A M (link) discussing increased cost which required a fix to be made to optimize the way how they retrieve the data. 

I'll report back when I have something to share.

Onno

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Patrik,

Tricky topic and inline with the Veeam thread Onno mentioned. Microsoft used to allow access to personal chats via the EWS API via a hidden folder in the mailbox - but they deprecated that and now require the GRAPH API to access personal chats.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/microsoft365dev/restricted-access-to-microsoft-teams-data-via-ews-starts-january-31-2023/

This isn't free and there is a significant charge - as such we do not use this API yet to avoid bill shock like the person in the team green thread 💀

So the answer is, no - no charge with the way we implement Teams backups today, but no personal chat backups either. There is work going on to allow backups of personal chats using the paid API, however I believe the team is figuring out the best way to do this that gives the customer control over costs if they decide to do so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We did some checks on our side and we have not identified any increase in cost. We're running the latest GA release with the latest MR in place. Anyhow @Damian Andre shared all context what the difference is and what is currently missing.