Skip to main content

Hello, guys.

So we are having this issue on this thing.

We are currently backing up some files from the physical disk(RDM) attached to the VMs.

Based on the report for today,...The capacity license has been exhausted ,(those VMs were onboarded as individua clients), the VMs with virtual disks were all successful, but the customer is saying the file system backup of those RDM disk should consume the VM license and not capacity. 

Is there how to do a workaround on this. They still have about 60 VMs licenses that has not been consumed. Will really be glad if I get someone with experience on this to help clarify or suggest the best way to go

@Mubaraq , can you get a License Summary Report and share it here?  I can move this to its own thread for better tracking.

It sounds like they installed the regular File system iDA on the vms and therefore the license being consumed is for capacity, not per-vm.

Since there are many ways to be licensed, we’d need to see what bucket is full and why.

Thanks!

@Mike Struening yes, they installed file system iDA on each of the VMs....reason being that you cannot snapshot the physical rdms and they need to backup some files within those physical rdms on the vms. Is there a way to allow the physical rdms consume license from the VM or another workaround entirely. They are not looking to buy extra capacity license.

Looks like they are using the wrong agent here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/36447_enabling_intellisnap_backup_operations_for_rdm_and_independent_disks.html

Read this thread for a similar question:

Once you use the right agent (and deconfigure and remove the FS agents) you’re licensing should settle as expected.

@Mike Struening thank you so much for the update.

The intellisnap option is not available for Oracle VMs on commvault but for VMWARE. Just checked and confirmed that, this morning.

They are actually doing normal vm backup with OVMM pseudo-client. The need for the file system agent is to backup those physical rdms since you can snapshot them.

The normal vm backups is going fine for virtual disks.

@Mubaraq , I would suggest opening a support ticket and having an engineer do a deep dive into the consumption.  Might be more going on than meets the obvious.

Can you share the case number so I can follow up accordingly?

Hi, @Mike Struening 

The customer has already raised the ticket. 

Below is the ticket Id.

Thank you so much.

# 220310-347

Great, thanks!  I’ll keep an eye on it.