Question

media agent , library going offline intermittently

• 5 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

we have strange issue , media agent is online and library is offline , and coming back online after sometime , some times media agent goes offline and come back online , and client backup is happening without any issue sometimes getting error saying unable to connect with remote machine .

we dont have any firewall in between all are on same vlan , no antivirus ,the issues is intermittent , 

our media agent is a physical server Dell , we configured teaming for network in switch independent mode

10 replies

Badge +3

Hi @Ajal,

Good day.

During the problematic period, I would like you to review the CVD, and CVFWD log. The error screenshot indicates the connection refused message, please try to configure the persistent tunnel.

After the configuration of the persistent tunnel if the issue persists and if you see any connection drop in the CVFWD log means, please run the Wireshark during the crisis period to investigate further on this issue.

Regards,

Wasim

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @Ajal 

Do you see something in the event viewers logs under system or application? Also, when the media goes offline, have you checked the communication like ping tracert from the commserve to see if its even responding on the network by attempting to login to it? What about resources on the media server? When you face this problem, what’s the RAM and CPU status?

Also, what is the uptime of this machine? Does it need a reboot? it could be related to port exhaustion as well.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Wasim we created one way firewall it resolved connection time out issues initially, the only thing i can find from cvfwd is below  

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Rajiv network connection is stable and working whenever we face issue i dont see any problem, resources utlization is normal 

this is only related warning I could see. 

Badge +3

Hi @Ajal ,

We received the connection refused message.

I would like you to run the Wireshark during the crisis period to investigate further on this issue.

Also, run the PROCMON to ensure the exclusion of CV folders from the AV scanning.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Wasim  there is no antivirus on MA ,i will try to run wireshark 

Badge +3

Hi @Ajal,

Thank you.

During the CRISIS period, please run the Wireshark on both the server and investigate further on this issue.

Regards,

Wasim

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Ajal Are you running Ipv6 on this machine? Is it enabled? If you do not need IPV6, could you try to disable it completely and make sure “ping hostnameofthismedia” gives you Ipv4 and check if this makes a difference?

After disabling IPV6, it may need a reboot as well.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +3

I am experiencing a similar issue. The media agent goes offline after a while. Restarting the services on the media agent resolves the problem temporarily, but it goes offline again after some time. All server groups are in the same VLAN. I wonder if this issue has been resolved?

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@cihat  for me it was the duplicate ip address , which was very difficult to find , one of the device which i have no idea was broeadcasting traffic from the same ip of media agent and goes down , we changed the ip and resolved ,

run wireshark on client and check the packets also the sender adapter , if you are seeing diffreent for the same ip then there is duplicate ip