Solved

MFA QR Code for Authenticator App

• 1 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have been reading through the documentation and it states that a QR code can be used to setup the authenticator app however upon initial login it sends an email with the secret key instead.

We’re currently on 11.24 and I saw another post that mentioned that this is available in 11.25?  Can anyone confirm that they receive a QR code on the first login after MFA is enabled?

We use separate admin accounts and want to avoid giving a mailbox to these accounts… would be nice to know if the authenticator app could be configured without having an email associated.

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 9 February 2022, 19:54

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @phriBri 

Maybe your user requested via CommCell Console or Command line for new secret key rather than Command Center or Web Console.

Please see documentations here: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/7913_reissuing_secret_key_for_two_factor_authentication_administrator.html

Badge +1

I was working with the user on a screenshare and we logged in to the web console.  It still sent an email and QR code did not appear.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

In that case, may be best to log a support incident to look into this further as it does not appear to be expected behaviour.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@phriBri , can you share the case number once created?

Thanks!

Badge +2

We have 11.24.29 in use and there is no QR Code on the first login. Just a secret key that you need to add to Google Authanticator app manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@clariion , have you created a case for this yet?  Please do so and share the incident number here so I can track it accordingly :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We have enrolled it ourselves very recently. Accessing Command Center will show a QR code that allows automatic configuration of Google Authenticator. If you access Command Center afterwards it requires you to use the pin generator. 

If you access the CommServe it will send a one-time key via mail that can be used for the next 30 minutes. Or if you want to access it immediately you can enter you username and password with the pincode that is generated by the pin generator appended to it.