Skip to main content

Hello there,

Environment: netapp cluster (9.12) with Commvault 2023E Commserve (11.32.56)

Current backup: ndmp to tape, 3 incrementals, one full

Possible new backup: cifs to disk w/ aux to tape, incremental and synthetic full only

we are currently evaluating the switch from ndmp to nas/cifs backup, as ndmp has no “synthetic full”. this is disturbing when the full backup took 2 or 3 days for ~15TB.

For this, I installed a spare server as standalone commserve (w/ eval license) to not disturb our productive system.

Following the docs and several threads, I added the storage array and the SVM to Commvault and configured the subclient.

I also configured snapdiffv3 on the netapp.

The first initial full backup was successful, it created a snapshot where it pulls the files from.

As I tried to do an incremental backup, the following happened:

second snapshot created

snapdiff v3 started, with the correct snapshots in the comparison

snapdiff ended with

CFSIScanEngine::ConfigureForChangelistScan(259) - Compare Snapshot Failed due to e0x8007000D:{CFSIChangelistHelper::ProcessSnapshotCompare(160)/W32.13.(The data is invalid. (ERROR_INVALID_DATA.13))-Found CREATE and DELETE event for same Filesystem path p\\UNC-PATH\FILENAME.PPTX]}].
CFSIScanEngine::ConfigureForChangelistScan(271) - Snapshot comparison failed. Restarting the scan phase with True-Up enabled

after that, a recursive scan is done.
For the next incremental backup, snapdiff fails for another file, but with the same message.

Forcing commvault to do snapdiff v1 throws the same error (found no way to test v2).

Has anyone ever seen this message?

How is it possible that a file in a snapshot has a CREATE and DELETE event on it?

PS: I am a little bit confused about snapdiffv3 in general.

Here it says, you can not do aux copies with snapdiffv3, where here it says that we need snapmirror for snapdiffv3, which we have no license for. Or does this not apply for NAS backups?

Best Regards

Jens

Hello @bauernfeind 

I have found a defect for this exact issue and it has been fixed in FR36. 

Currently there is no backport available but you can create a support ticket and request to be added to CMR “438164”

There is no ETA on when the backport will be available and if it will be backported. I recommend just upgrading. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Hello @Albert Williams ,

thanks for your reply.

11.36 is currently in preview state and I am not in the “early adopter program”, so I cannot download the media kit.

As GA is scheduled to be in ~2weeks, I think I just wait until then and upgrade asap.

Best

Jens

Thanks for the replay @bauernfeind 

Please mark the thread as answered if there are no further questions.

Kind regards

Albert Williams