Skip to main content
Question

NDMP backups choosing 1GB E0M over 10 ICL

• 4 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Recently moved Netapp away from direct dumping to Quantum tape library over FC to leverage CIFS / NFS. 

Netapp cluster MGMT is on x.x.8.6

NDMP client is configured with x.x.8.6 TCP port 10000
Netapp has ICL’s in x.x.12.x/24
MA has 10GB teamed nic in x.x.12.x/24 and a nic in x.x.8.x/24

Client preview completes and can browse volumes and files with the NDMP client no issue at all, when kicking off the backup it goes over the 1G e0M cluster mgmt network as apposed to the ICL network on 10G. 

• Tried adding dips to the MA properties to only talk on x.x.12.x/24  between MA and Netapp Filer
  • Opened additional listening ports the MA in network properties at the client group level though (multiple MA across DC’s)
  • When the backup is running, I can TNC (telnet) from MA to the ICL and it completes the connection on 10000
  • Can ping from the ICL LIF back to the MA x.x.12.x IP’s no problem

Can not for the life of me get this working and is now bugging me for the last 4 days… 

NDMP dumping to tape was working fine, but no longer fit for purpose as were taking weeks to complete a full dump (due to in place BOWs). 

Everything works but sending data through e0M (cluster mgmt) (backup request originating port).

Hey @Daniel Everitt,

I was looking through some cases to see if this was an easy fix - unfortunately there seems to be wide range of possibilities, but for the most part it seems like changes on the NetApp side usually resolve it. It seems that most are resolved with updating/fixing the routing table on the NetApp or ensuring that the LIF is moved out of port "e0M" and hosted on a high bandwidth port.

I’ll see if anyone else has some suggestions before you need to open a case to investigate.

Hi @Damian Andre

Many thanks for getting back to me, 

Just for the notes, we already have the ICL on 10G ports and is removed from the “e0M” already.