Solved

Nutanix AHV support for Indexing Version 2 - When will it be available?

• 28 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Currently running Commvault 11.24.  Have several large Nutanix AHV clusters.   Nightly incremental backups are very efficient, but the weekly synthetic full backups are painfully slow.    Since Indexing Version 2 is not supported for Nutanix AHV, the synthetic full backups run with a single stream.    As a result, we have our backups for each cluster broken up into several subclients, and stagger the synthetic full backups across the week.    Furthermore, the impact of the Indexing Version 1 synthetic full backups seems to extend to Aux Copy events between our sites.   I believe that the synthetic full Nutanix AHV backup data is Aux Copying on a single stream.   Not good!

Now, looking to the future, on 11.30, we can see that every hypervisor will support Indexing Version 2….except for Nutanix AHV!    

Do any Commvault folks know when Indexing Version 2 will be available for Nutanix AHV?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

icon

Best answer by MFasulo 28 December 2022, 16:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Its on the roadmap.   Shoot me an email bro@commvault.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@DaysAndCycles - is there a possibility of a bottleneck on your Media Agent - with the DDB or storage read?

Understand that multi-stream synthetic full can certainly boost performance, but perhaps there is opportunity to increase performance before this feature lands.

What sort of performance are you seeing on your synthetic fulls? Also wondering if perhaps using an automatic synthetic full schedule could help distribute the load.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@DaysAndCycles- is there a possibility of a bottleneck on your Media Agent - with the DDB or storage read?

Understand that multi-stream synthetic full can certainly boost performance, but perhaps there is opportunity to increase performance before this feature lands.

What sort of performance are you seeing on your synthetic fulls? Also wondering if perhaps using an automatic synthetic full schedule could help distribute the load.

In case you use a plan and leverage an hourly RPO configuration I would assume this would happen automatically already, right? I'm referring to the distributing of the load. This is one of the reason why I think we should also advocate move to try customer to embrace "automatic” and use blackout windows to influence the logic when needed, for example in case you need to block jobs from running during specific time windows. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

hey ho, do you have an information what happens on the road map ?

hey ho, do you have an information what happens on the road map ?

Good news!  

As of July 2023, 11.32 supports Indexingg Version 2 for Nutanix AHV clusrters!   So, we’ll now be able to multi-stream synthetic full backups! 

One catch.   You'll have to setup a brand new Nutanix AHV pseudo-client to get this going.    You can’t retroactively change the indexing version for an existing pseudo-client.   

Hypervisor Support for Indexing Version 2 (commvault.com)

We're still on 11.30, but we’ll be upgrading to 11.32 in 1st quarter to take advantage of this.    It’s also a prerequisite for Commvault Metallic/Commvault Cloud.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hey @DaysAndCycles 

sounds good. We are on 11.28.x and now we have an good reason to go on 11.32.x :) 

so the migration workflow for index v2 is not working for nutanix ahv ?

The migration workflow should work to shift Nutanix AHV from Index 1 to Index 2 should work.