Skip to main content

Hello Commvault community,

I need your help in order to add in our o365 Exchange online schedule also the Archive mailboxes.

Currently all o365 active users are assigned the "365_Plan_Forever" plan (check attachment) for 4,179 /o365 users / groups mailboxes.

In addition I created the "365_Plan_Forever_with_Archive" plan (check attachment) in order to backup also the Archive.

So, when I “switched” all users to 365_Plan_Forever_with_Archive plan, the daily Exchange online jobs are running 24/7 with a lot of days and only for few amount of users.
That's because the amount of their Archive usage….

So, that's the reason Im here in order to help me maybe with a workaround, in order to protect the also the Archive mailboxes without stopped / delay the daily backup jobs for the regular Exchange online mailboxes.

I was opened also a ticket (Incident 221102-237), and the findings are below:

Findings:
1. Apply the plan to all the mailboxes, disable the schedule, and trigger a backup. If the job is running for over 7 days, kill it and trigger another job. You can also configure an automatic schedule to force a kill job every 2 days. This will place the job into committed state until all the items are getting backed up
2. Apply the plan for 100 mailboxes, leave the Autodiscover in a Manual state, trigger the job and wait for it to complete. Repeat this step until the backup is completed for all mailboxes

Finding Details:
- The new plan is getting reverted automatically after 24 hours after setting Autodiscover to Auto
- checked and found the settings in Content (All user is set to another plan) is getting applied automatically after 24 hours which is expected

So, Im looking if there is a better workaround to proceed with Archive mailboxes backup without disturb the daily exchange online jobs for rest of users! Looking for the best way to go!

Please for your feedback.

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm,

How large are the Archive Mailboxes?  One option would be to run a job that only contains the accounts with archive mailboxes.  This way when the scheduled job runs, it will skip the mailboxes being processed in the other job.

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm,

How large are the Archive Mailboxes?  One option would be to run a job that only contains the accounts with archive mailboxes.  This way when the scheduled job runs, it will skip the mailboxes being processed in the other job.

Hi @Mike H 

This is an interesting approach, but unfortunately there are almost 2,000 mailboxes with Archive.

From a PS script I see that only Archive capacity for all them are about 25 TB.

From my calculations, with average throughout 35-40 GB/h, we are going to need about a month in order to complete the “full” backups (with archive folders).

So, basically we are going to have a month with a lot of skipped daily exchange online backups for the most of the o365 users.

That’s why I’m trying to find a workaround. 

Hi @Mike H 

So, basically we are going to have a month with a lot of skipped daily exchange online backups for the most of the o365 users.

That’s why I’m trying to find a workaround. 

I did a deployment for 8.5K users and something like 100TB of exchange data, it took about a month to baseline. 

The only thing you can do is check for throttling in EWS and disable EWS throttling for a time period for the initial ingest to take place, there is a KB on it here: https://kb.commvault.com/article/68619

That and check the number of Apps you’ve deployed, more isn’t always better, if you’re still seeing throttling then you may want to reduce the number of apps after consulting support.