Skip to main content
Question

Performance improvements for AuxCopy

• 10 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello Commvault Community,

We have an environment that is based on several data centers in different locations around the world. Aux Copy performs correctly and on the fly, while I would like to ask if there is any way to speed up this process? The situation is as follows:

In general, latency between sites is generally high, about 25-30ms, throughput is somewhere between 20-50gb/hr for AuxCopy jobs, sometimes faster. Is it not possible to split such AuxCopy into more minor sub-jobs? If more streams are used in parallel, latency will be less of a problem.

We have already studied the topic of Scalable Resource Allocation, but here this Batch Size will not help us, because here isn’t a large number of jobs to be copied and we are concerned only with improving the performance of this process. 

Thank you in advance for your help on this topic.
Kind Regards
Kamil

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello @Kamil 

To improve the performance of Aux copy we need to know where the bottle neck is. 

Can you please run an Aux copy job for 1 hour and then kill it. After it is been killed go to the media agent that was writing the data and look for the log “CVPerfMgr.log”. It will contain  a summary of performance for each stream. Can you share an example of one stream for review to understand where the bottle neck is. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 4

Hello @Albert Williams 

In the attached log you asked for, the component names have been changed. 

Aux Copy took 6/7h, in the log about 3h last entries - average throughput is about 500GB/H, and towards the end of the Auxcopy job it slowed down significantly to about 80GB/H

Thanks,
Kamil

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Kamil 

Thank you. I do not see any Aux Copies in this version of CvPerfMgr. All I can see are SQL backups.

Can you suspend the Aux Copy, then upload the CvPerfMgr from the Destination Media Agent?

Other than this, I would make sure Space Optimized Copy is turned off. This setting limits the number of streams to optimize deduplication savings. Since each stream does not deduplicate against each other in transit, limiting the streams gives some benefit to deduplication ratio if space consumption is a top concern. This drastically hurts performance for minimal to moderate space savings.

Copy Properties - Copy Policy - https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/copy_properties_copy_policy.html

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Agree with Collin but if you can please run a Aux copy job for 1 hour and then kill it and share the log as requested originally. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams