Skip to main content

Hi All,

i found this post ( New DDB stores gets Auto-created.. Horizontal scaling enabled.. | Community (commvault.com) ) but doesnt help :( 

So my question is how can i prevent creating an new ddb because of high qi times ?

DDB(s) reaching QI time threshold for adding new Subclients i {DDB XXXX] MediaAgent AXXXX] Path XXXX] AvgQITime I670] Free Space Percentage n56] } ]. New DDB(s) may gets created if it crosses threshold. Please review the DDB configuration, for more details refer Deduplication Building Block Guide on Books Online.

I dont find any additional settings to prevent creating new ddb

Hi,

if you use horizontal scaling with DDBs (which became the default quite some time ago), new DDBs are created to increase the amount of block references, a DDB can maintain.

if you reach the thresholds, otherwise the DDB will fail / go offline.

another option can be to add more partitions to the DDBs, increasing the number of unique blocks that can be handled.

but in the end, you always require SSD class disk space to store the DDBs ;)

There has been a registry key in the past, infuencing, whether a DDB is created as horzontal scaling or not. Since horizontal scaling gives you more backend capacity to address, I would not use that (any longer)
today you get DDBs for database, virtual server and file workloads, since the unique block matches between these workloads rarely match. 
This is resulting in maximum unique blocks per workload. 
additional DDBs will also increase the amount of unique blocks, that can be managed within a DDB engine, but lead to little higher backend consumption, due to redundant hashes possible in multiple DDBs belonging to the same engine. 
additional DDB partitions on the other hand, will not register unique hashes multiple times