Solved

Question about scheduling behaviour with Oracle agents associated to Plans

• 21 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the association of Oracle (sub)clients to Plans. Let’s say I have the following schedules defined in my Plan:

1. Incremental backup for all agent types: Daily at 22:00
  2. Transaction Log backup for databases: Every 2 hours
  3. Full backup for databases: Every Friday at 20:00

An Oracle Client by default has:

• A “default” subclient (with Selective Online Full enabled)
  • An ArchiveLog subclient

If I assign the Instance or subclients to my Plan, which schedule(s) will then be applied to these subclients?

In my opinion, the default subclient should follow schedule nr “3” because it’s a Full backup. And the ArchiveLog subclient should follow schedule “2” because it backs-up the logs. But is that indeed the case? I have my doubts about this.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Sunil 21 March 2024, 16:15

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Patrick Dijkgraaf 

The FULL and Incremental (1&3) schedules will be associated to the default subclient.

The Transaction log schedule (2) will be associated to the ArchiveLog subclient.

Thanks,

Sunil

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Sunil , thanks for your quick reply!

I was afraid of that. I even expected schedule (1) to be applied to the ArchiveLog subclient too.

In fact, this is actually quite confusing. The “All agent types” schedule IS applied to the Oracle default subclient, but IS NOT applied to the Oracle ArchiveLog subclient. Both are subclients under a Database Agent, so I would expect the schedule to be applied to none, or to both. Not just one of them.

But anyway, so the only way to prevent the default subclient from performing the Selective Online Full backup on a daily basis, would be to create a separate Plan. Is that correct?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Patrick Dijkgraaf 

ArchiveLog subclient is a special subclient for Oracle agent which is only responsible for running frequent log backups. That’s why other schedules are not applied to this subclient. This, of course, doesn’t prevent any other functionality of other subclients.

Why is Selective Online Full is running on a daily basis? The daily schedule is an incremental backup and you have weekly full schedule, correct?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Sunil ,

You said the daily incremental (1) schedule is also applied to the default subclient. The default subclient has the “Selective Online Full” option enabled, so I believe whatever type of backup you run for that subclient, it will always be a (daily) Full.

We cannot change the daily incremental schedule because it is used for other backup types, like File Systems or VSA backups.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Patrick Dijkgraaf 

Are you sure you’re observing the incremental schedule is running Selective Online Fulls always? Selective online incremental is possible.

Can you please refer to the below BOL pages and check if your environment is behaving differently?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/configuring_oracle_selective_online_incremental_backups.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/selective_online_incremental_backups.html

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @Sunil ,

no, we didn’t observe anything yet, as we are currently in the planning stage. But your explanation has comforted us to go along with the Plan association. By doing so, we should end-up with:

• Backup of AchiveLogs every 2 hours
  • Daily Selective Online Incremental
  • Weekly Selective Online Full

Correct?

We will monitor this and reprot back if we have any other question about this.

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Correct. In addition, usually with Plan, the log backup schedule will be Automatic. Which means along with running at the fixed interval, it also has the intelligence to detect the log activity and trigger a log backup automatically based on space and log count thresholds.

You can read more about it here:

Creating an Automatic Schedule for Database Log Backups (commvault.com)

Thanks,

Sunil-